Friday, March 18, 2022

CARS, CARS, IF YOU PAVE IT, THEY WILL COME

------------------------------------------------------------

HIGH SILLINESS IN THE LAND OF THE FREE
-----------------------------------------------------------
Volume: 1071                      March 19, 2022

Maybe one day we'll find a better way to get around that still allows us the selfish but elegant love of our automobiles.  I can't help but love a 1965 Corvair 4-Door with Automatic Transmission.  Aah, the love of automobiles will forever propel my willingness to deal with the fact that, wherever your are, you're never alone.

CARS, CARS, EVERYWHERE A CAR!

What is it with our automobile fetish?

We live in a land of plenty, plenty of cars!  I’m not so sure I believe Department of Transportation figures which say there are 287 million vehicles on the road. [U.S. Department of Transportation Traffic Presence Report Nov. 2021]  If you’ve been on the road practically anywhere in this country you know there are more and more cars, SUVs, Vans, Trucks, etc. than ever!

When I pull out of my neighbourhood onto the road and wait, and wait, and wait for a break in traffic it brings a question to mind.  Don’t these people have jobs?  I can understand and take into account truckers, delivery drivers, salesmen, moms shopping, and people going to and from work but that doesn’t account for more than a fraction of what I see on the road.

It doesn’t seem to matter whether or not a road is in the countryside or in the city, there are cars on it.  Anywhere there is a road there is traffic, making it impossible to just stop for a moment because sure as Henry Ford there’ll be a car on your bumper in mere moments.  What is absolutely true about American traffic is …

“If you build it, they will come.”

I love this land and, in defence of Americans at large, the same situation with cars exists in China, Great Britain, Japan, Singapore, and almost every country in the developed world.  I've driven the roads of India, Kenya, China, Greece, Canada, and the United States and it's all still the same.  There’s really got to be an answer, but I can’t say because I love my car!

I’m Max, and that’s the way I see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment